About Start Co.
Start Co. is a non-profit venture development organization that helps early-stage tech startups build their businesses. Through Start Co. programming, startups receive mentorship, training, coworking space, and connections to resources. During the summer, startups from all over the country apply for Start Co. Accelerators – 3 month bootcamps that invest in enterprise, logistics, women-led and socially innovative startups. Startups participating in the summer accelerators learn everything from customer discovery to business development and how to pitch to investors. The accelerator programs culminate with a city-wide Demo Day, during which graduating startups pitch for follow-on investment in front of an audience of investors, industry professionals, city leaders and others that are helpful to emerging businesses.
Desired Skills for Fellow
-Strong communication skills
-Added bonus: videography, graphic design
Start Co. is interested in Fellows in a variety of positions, including: communications, videography, and graphic design.
Specifically, fellows will be engaged in the following:
– Participate in accelerator curriculum and training programs. (20%)
– Throrough orientation, including a deep training on startup principles. Regular reading in the field of startups is also required. (10%)
– Undertaking a major project to be completed on their own. Previous fellows or associates have undertaken anything from communications (social media, email newsletters, PR, etc) to being an in-house designer (helping design logos, pitch decks, and materials for startups in our programs) to being the designated videographer (capturing the summer on film and compiling it as videos for marketing & storytelling) (56%)
– Creating a professional development plan, identifying learning outcomes, and participating in relevant meetings, activities, networking opportunities. (10%)
– Writing a well thought out blog post for a major outlet (Memphis Flyer, Startup America, Jumpstart America, Startup Memphis, Harvard Kennedy School, or other outlet we have access to) on a take-away from the experience. (4%)
In the startup world, everyone is expected to “punch above their weight class.” As a result, Start Co.’s Fellows are asked to commit themselves to a fast-paced summer of hard work & learning. Consequently, Start Co. believes that it offers its Fellows one of the best personal and professional development experiences in the Memphis area.